The Blue Tram line that connects Placa Kennedy with the funicular railway that goes to Tibidabo was opened in 1901. It was designed to connect the important houses on Avenue Tibidabo with Barcelona’s city tram system. It was privately owned and got its name ‘Tramvia Blau‘ from the bright blue trams that ran on the line.
From the start point at Placa Kennedy to the last stop at Mirablau the line climbs 93 metres in altitude, at at gradient of 8% and is 1276 metres long. It is one of only two surviving ‘first generation’ tramways in Spain.
Tucked next to Cosmo Caixa is the depot. There is actually a fleet of 7 trams. There is one (1901) from the original class of four trams built for the system. This is only used for special occasions. There are five ‘six four-wheeled’ trams built for service on the Tramvia Blau (1904), a couple with modern hydraulic brakes and a restored Barcelona City tram, in its original red livery (1906)
Barcelona closed its last line in 1971. The Tramvia Blau continued operating as a private company until 1979 when it was bought by the city. Interestingly in recent years trams have been re-introduced into the Catalan Capital, forming part of the city-wide intergrated transport network. You can ride the modern version along either end of Diagonal.
Check the running times, they can be a bit sketchy depending on the time of year and the weather. There are limited seats and only a couple of trams running at the same time, so get there early or be prepared to queue.
See Running Times
Blue Tram Collserola Casino Tibidabo Cemetery Aquarium